Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Thank Goodness for Cookies

This day from hell is nearly at a close. Nearly, but not quite. The Toddler is screaming again, having awoken from a 30 minute power nap) but I'm off duty for at least the next 15 minutes due to yogurt-making, which is a temperature-sensitive process. Not exactly a break since I also have to take the trash can out, but I'll take what I can get.

Today started out wonderfully. Though the night was a little rough due to The Toddler coming into our bed (he's teething his last set of molars) and an infant middle-of-the-night feeding, I awoke around 8:00 a.m. feeling relatively energized. I cleaned the kitchen, which I had neglected the night before, and managed to fit every since dirty dish in the dishwasher! I know it sounds like a trivial thing to be excited about, but when I don't run the dishwasher daily often not all the dishes will fit the next morning. This morning I was lucky, likely since I'd made pizza and fajitas for our meals yesterday, both of which used leftovers. Not only did I have time to clean the kitchen, but I also whipped up a batch of these amazing cookies.
Then the day started to go to hell. First, I had an appointment that I'd called at 8:30 a.m to confirm but received no response show up at 10:17 a.m. We made the appointment three weeks ago and settled on a date but not a time. When she didn't contact me prior to today, I'd assumed she flaked entirely but just in case call this morning to make sure. Upon getting no response then, I relaxed and set about a lazy morning only to wind up answering the door in my pajamas and having to yank a very groggy husband out of bed. She also failed to apologize for being nearly 20 minutes late which further irked me. This basically unannounced appointment also thwarted our plans to take The Toddler to a farm/petting zoo which looked like it would have been a lot of fun.

This is the last week my husband will be on daytime shift work and have non-holiday weekdays off so I'm trying to make the most of his remaining time. Though our farm trip was spoiled, we decided to go out to lunch at our favorite bistro. It's in the Columbia Town Center right off of Lake Kittamaqundi. Lunch was great--best cream of crab I've had in Maryland. The Toddler had some of my husband's salmon--I love it that salmon is among the things on his picky foods list. My husband and I also shared a wonderful crab cake sandwich with loads of fresh fruit.

Though it was already past 2:00 p.m. and the Toddler's nap time was imminent, since it was a beautiful day and we were by the lake, my husband decided to roam about lakefront with The Toddler (there's a pathway that runs around the late) while the Baby I and checked out the brand new WholeFoods. Which experience was worse is a close call. Though The Toddler loves running about and was given free reign albeit on his kid leash, due to the time of day, the heat or maybe his teeth pain, he ran in spurts and stops and eventually melted. My husband had to carry him a fair ways back to the car. Meanwhile, The Baby and I had mediocre experience in the new WholeFoods which only worsened the longer I spent in the store. First, there seemed to be a shortage of employees on the floor to ask for assistance in locating things. Then I spent 10+ minutes in the checkout line with only two people ahead of me, each with less than 10 items in their carts! When it was finally my turn, I discovered the likely reason for the delay as the cashier didn't know (and couldn't figure out from her picture book) the code for sweet potatoes! Perhaps if I'd had an uncommon pepper or herb, but sweet potatoes?!!! After finally completing my purchase, my experience was further soured by coffee splattering over my cloth shopping bags when I drove the cart over this weird bump on the door's threshold. Then as I was standing just outside the store attempting to wipe up the spilled coffee, a parking lot attendant very aggressively offered to carry my bags to my car. I'm wiping coffee and he's grabbing my bags out of my cart telling me that he'll take my two bags (I had three, btw!) and I can carry my coffee. I had to emphatically decline his offer several times before he'd release my bags and go away. Perhaps he worked for tips and it was a slow day or perhaps it's the WholeFoods policy. Either way, his manner was quite offensive. Little did I realize that the likely reason for the parking lot guys is that there are NO cart returns! Suffice to say that while I was thrilled to find whole wheat couscous in the bulk bins and another source of cheap organic milk, I won't be returning to that store any time soon. My conclusion: just as one shouldn't buy a new product that's only been on the market for a week, one shouldn't go to a new store that's only been open for a week.

Though the happy buzz from a lovely lunch was muted now for all of us, my husband and I figured we'd get some quality free time once we returned home during The Toddler's nap. Haha, we were wrong. He.Wouldn't.Nap. The Toddler hasn't skipped his afternoon nap more than once or twice this year, but, sure enough, he did so today. Even on those few isolated occasions in the past where he didn't nap, though he was tired, he wasn't overly cranky. Not today. If he was by himself for too long, he melted. Either by screaming, tossing all of his books out of his room or destroying something, he demanded attention from one of us all afternoon and evening. Attempting him to tear himself away from watching Daddy play MarioKart for dinner resulted in a screaming fit. No, I didn't simply bring The Toddler to the table--the game was paused and both he and Daddy came upstairs. But since the game wasn't over, The Toddler had a fit. Finally, he calmed down and ate a few bites of dinner but that was it. He's now fallen asleep several times since we went upstairs at 8:00 p.m. but it's now after 11:00 p.m. and I just heard him up screaming again.
As I savor the final crumbs of my fifth cookie of the evening, I guess it's my turn to go check on him. It's got to be teething-related as the last set of molars just broke through his gums. I feel really bad for the little guy, but this craziness has to end. Thank goodness for cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment