Makes 2–21/2 dozen cookies
* 1 stick butter, softened
* 2/3 cup light brown sugar sugar, packed
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 2 large eggs
* 3/4 cup sifted all purpose flour
* 1/4 cup sifted whole wheat flour
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
* 1 cup dried cherries, roughly chopped
* 1 cup pecans, roughly chopped
Ingredient Option: use dried cranberries instead of cherries, walnuts instead of pecans, granulated sugar instead of brown
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Cream together butter and sugar, beating until light. Add vanilla and eggs. Continue to beat well. Sift together both flours, salt and baking soda, and add to butter mixture, beating again. Stir in chocolate chips, dried cherries and pecans. Refrigerate dough for 1 hour.
Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheets that have been lined with parchment paper and sprayed with canola or olive oil spray. Bake cookies 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition InfoPer Serving (1 oz-wt.): 130 calories (70 from fat), 8g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 1g dietary fiber, 2g protein, 16g carbohydrate, 10mg cholesterol, 65mg sodium