12 cups packed assorted salad greens
1 cup chopped cucumbers
1/2 pound medium-size shiitake mushrooms
1/2 pound medium-size mushrooms
1 beef top round steak, 1 inch thick (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1/4 cup balsamic or red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1. Into large bowl, tear salad greens into bite-size pieces. Add cucumbers.
2. Cut off tough stems from shiitake mushrooms; leave mushrooms whole. Trim stem end of regular mushrooms; slice.
3. Sprinkle top round steak with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. In 12-inch skillet over high heat, in 1 tablespoon hot olive or salad oil, cook steak until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking 8 to 10 minutes longer for rare or until of desired doneness. Remove steak to cutting board; let rest 10 minutes for easier slicing.
4. Meanwhile, in the same skillet over medium-high heat, in 1 tablespoon additional hot olive or salad oil, cook both kinds of mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoon salt until mushrooms are golden brown and all the liquid has evaporated, stirring frequently.
5. In small bowl, with fork, mix balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, sugar, 3 tablespoons olive or salad oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/3 cup water. Stir vinegar mixture into skillet with mushrooms. Remove skillet from heat.
6. With knife held in slanting position almost parallel to cutting board, cut round steak across its width into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Add sliced steak and mushroom mixture to salad greens; toss well. Spoon onto large platter to serve.
Each serving: About 325 calories, 22 g fat, 68 mg cholesterol, 770 mg sodium.