14 to 18 pound turkey
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 to 3 tablespoons snipped fresh thyme, tarragon, marjoram, sage, and/or rosemary
2 cloves garlic, minced
16 oz broth
4 cloves of garlic
handful of herbs
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. For Herb-Butter Seasoning, combine butter, the fresh herbs, and garlic. Starting at the neck end of the turkey, loosen the skin by sliding your fingers underneath it, being careful not to tear it. Slide your hand as far as you can toward the other end of the turkey, separating the skin from the meat. Rub about two-thirds of the herb-butter seasoning over the entire breast.
3. Stuff the cavity with aromatics and tie legs loosely.
4. Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Insert a meat thermometer into the center of one of the inside thigh muscles. The bulb should not touch the bone.
5. Rub remaining herb-butter seasoning over the entire turkey. Cover turkey loosely with foil. Roast in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F.
6. Continue roasting turkey for about 2 to 4 hours or until thermometer registers 165 degrees F. Baste with broth every 30-60 minutes. Cut band of skin between legs after 2-1/2 hours so the thighs will cook evenly. During the last 30 minutes of roasting, uncover turkey.
7. When done, remove turkey from oven; cover. Let turkey stand 20 minutes before carving.